Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oh, to be a cookie monster...

So, my cookies class has started. And to be honest...its a little lackluster.

A lot of the things we have made are sort of everyday or just okay. Not to mention we have yet to have a demo.

I've decided I am only going to blog about the "highlights" of the day, Also I may combine class days (as I am for Monday and Tuesday of this week).

So on Monday we made Pecan Fudge Brownies, finished with ganache. When I say fudge, I mean FUDGE. They were so dense, chewy and buttery like the fudge candy.

Fudgey-Fudge Brownie Batter

Applying the Ganache Fudgey-Fudge Brownies

Finished Fudgey-Fudge Brownies

Hazelnut Biscotti


Biscotti, are a favorite of many to accompany their hot coffee or a cold glass of milk. These hard yet slightly chewy cookies, baked twice, can be made in a variety of flavors. We made hazelnut and dipped them in both dark and white chocolate.

Once the dough is made, it is formed into long thin logs and baked until firm but with little to no color.

1st bake-Biscotti

They are then sliced on a biased and baked again at a lower temp (325 F) until dried and golden brown. The thicker you cut them the less dry and hard they will be come. Once cooled, if desired dip in chocolate.

Dipped Hazelnut Biscotti


We also made short dough (1-2-3 dough), lined a half sheet with it and par-baked it. My group made lemon bars and they were soooo gross,everyone's were the same...SUPER EGGY! And some other groups made pecan (or walnut) diamonds. Those were a lot more appetizing.

We also made linzer dough...again. And made a linzer bar out of it using the same method as with the linzer torte. Dough, raspberry jam, strips of dough. And again...not my favorite. I did like the trimmed edges where it was mostly dough and just a touch of jam. Making thumbprint cookies out of this dough would be good, I think. We also made marzipan to be shaped later on, that i am kinda excited about. I wanna make a pineapple, a penguin, ladybug and maybe hello kitty (we shall see!

My partner and I rapidly made our madelines and had to un-mold them at the very end of class, even after the cleaning (this was because of the lack of ample pans and they were such a pain in the neck to clean!). So needless to say, i didn't take any pictures of them. oh well.

Me, being the fatty that I am, could not let those brownies go without being consumed with some vanilla icecream...so my roommate and our friend had sundaes after class today! Yummmmmmmy :D



No comments:

Post a Comment